Thursday, November 09, 2006

Goodfeathers

"Am I a clown to you? Do I amuse you?"


I've always hated pigeons. For me they rank with the cockroach and rat as symbols of urban filth. But listening to the Diane Rehm show this morning, I heard her guest mention attending a Pigeon Beauty contest in Lancaster, PA. Hearing his descriptions of some of the breeds, I had to see pictures of these beasts. I wasn't disappointed. This site has a nice gallery of some truely remarkable squab. Apparently, the American Fantail has a neck so long it curls its head around and rests it on its tail. Here are some of my favorites:






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard that this morning. Who knew that squab was the only poultry you could eat rare? Also, the guy who went on about pigeons unconditionally loving humans and advocated their potential as pets needs to have his head examined.

Anonymous said...

pigeons are really doves that were bred by european noblemen to be easier to hunt-- that's why they're so stupid.

thanks for the link to my site!